Friday, March 20, 2009

Changing World

Lately I’ve noticed several signs that the world is changing. Now it is widely known, that once you set your focus on a certain theme or case, you start noticing relevant stories, products or information on just that. That might just be the case here, but since I find it fascinating it is worth writing about.
It’s probably 20 years since I first heard about how the generation that’s just starting their careers and how they would change the patterns of working and thinking in the world. After I became a mother, I noticed that more and more children were born with challenges that were not known and definitely not understood when I was a kid. ADHD and related diagnoses have flourished; every other kid has some sort of allergy or intolerance that no one had heard of 20 years back. These children need their parents, and generally their whole environment, to adapt to them, instead of vice versa.
Being Icelandic, I’ve followed the financial and political crises there closely. Now, several months into the “crises” more and more people seem to be realizing that all of this might be an opportunity to create something new and better for our societies. Maybe racing challenging children has helped us to learn how to adapt to new and surprising situations?
I think it is a pleasure to be able to follow in on new philosophies in marketing, in religious systems, changes in the way we work, read, listen to music, appreciate our families, communicate and look at the world. I do believe that we are still to see big changes in our consumption, and it seems to me that we’re finally realizing that it gives more pleasure to produce things, and to work with things that are rewarding on a personal plane.
With all of this said, it’s probably in its place to add, that I’ve not noticed the financial crises personally, and neither do I know anyone that has felt it hard in their life’s here in Norway.
I’m excited to see what the years to come will bring us! What do you think life will be like in 5 – 10 - 20 years?

No comments:

Post a Comment